Inheriting from object

I recently asked a question on Twitter about whether I should show modern Python 3 code with classes that inherit from object or not. For example:

class Spam(object):
    def yow(self):

Overall, the responses tended towards the negative. “Just let Python 2 die already!” Given the hostility and upon further pondering, I think I’m going to go ahead and keep the object in there. Let me explain…

First, by keeping it, you get a uniformity in syntax. All classes inherit from “something.” If you can’t think of something, use object. Just do it.

Second, all classes inherit from object anyways even if you don’t specify it. You’ll see this if you look at things like the MRO:

class Spam:
       def yow(self):

>>> Spam.__mro__
(<class '__main__.Spam'>, <class 'object'>)

The curious developer will start to ask questions… why is object implicitly inserted in there? I didn’t inherit from object. Well, yes, you did. If you write class Spam(object), it becomes a lot more explicit. Of course you inherited from object–just look at the code. A hollow voice says “explicit is better than implicit.”

There’s also certain symmetry if you start using metaclasses. The type and object classes go together as a pair. If you make a new metaclass, it’s common to make a new pairing like this:

class mytype(type):

class myobject(metaclass=mytype):

You then define classes using:

class Spam(myobject):

So, classes always inherit from something. Usually it’s object. Don’t ask questions–it all makes perfect sense. Just write it down.

Alternative plan: never use inheritance, problem solved :wink:

Well now we’re just being silly.

Hey, I don’t trust classes that don’t start with an uppercase letter or TheirNamesAreNotCamelCase.

Hey , functions inheriting from function class too and None object inheriting from NoneType class, it is look every things objects.:relaxed:

While it does make sense, for me the cognitive overhead of having to read what is being inherited and realizing it’s just object is higher than having nothing listed to infer object. Since the syntactic signal that there’s no inheritance to worry about when (object) is left off is more obvious and less error-prone.

I’d say explicitly writing in every statement what is a base language feature is not necessary.